Monday, January 02, 2006

Penang Jamboree 2004 - See U Dare

Penang MTB Jamboree 4 -5 December 2005
Saturday : Penang Food and Heritage Cycle Hunt
Sunday : See U Dare
450 participants

We were dared, we dared and they saw us dare. Reeks of corn spilling out of one's ears...but I love it! And here goes Episode 3 of this 4-part jamboree saga....looooooooooook....more pixtures.....

That's true fellowship when you can join forces with neighbouring mountain bikers who were strangers just seconds ago....and ride for a common goal....to get to the finish line first! Ok, that's not the point....and the politically correct thing to say was that it was the journey that mattered....blah blah blah. But I really had loads of fun, riding through the back streets of Penang looking for checkpoints and clues. Came across so many familiar streets that were glossed over when one is driving.

This was not a race, for Chendol shake....but having been brainwashed by the Singaporean system, gia su us zipaadidoda-ed through all the checkpoints and flew to the finish line, only to find several of our answers marked with a "x". Ouch! We may be fast, but not very smart!
Later that afternoon, Ailing, Fatmah and I were entertained by Derek, one of the organisers, who dutifully fattened us up, in true Penang style, with the most sinful food you can think of! The more lard, the tastier it got! A dozen foodstalls later, it was time to go for a spin, a pre-ride tour if you will of the following day's torture programme. After the tarmac climb, the 4-wheel driver negotiated narrow offroad paths meant for bicycles. One false move would see us careening off steep cliffs. But Derek kept his eyes peeled on the road, while we kept ours on the stunning view that surrounded us.

It was probably the first time I took notice of the fine details. In the past years that I've ridden past the same spot, all I took in was a blurred 2-second optical brush of panoramic splendour while at all times keeping that eye on the ruts that may set anyone back by another 10 minutes...

Ahhh...the funicular train that takes you up to the top of Penang Hill...a one-way ticket for many hard-core downhillers who don their full masked helmets and fancy elbow and knee pads after alighting the tram, and bombing all the way down Penang Hill! Gee whizzzzzz!

These are the die-hard folks who come back year after year, for all that adrenalin rush and excitement. Many were corned and haven't returned since. Heh heh!

Lioe (aka Mr M&M) made history by being the most sporting Singaporean to have graced the jamboree pre-ride dancing parade! Great way to release all the unspoken stress of trying to kick each other's butt under the guise of a "but it's just a friendly ride, not a competition"!

Let the ride begin! Like a swarm of bees, we buzzed off, grouping and regrouping with familiar faces until you hit the one-hill climb! Unless you set off together in a group, you may not bump into another familar soul for hours until the next food checkpoint!

My aim that year was simple : after 2 years of pushing, I said to myself : you better wake up your idea silly girl! No matter how shitty you feel, don't you dare put your feet down! And I'm proud to say that I think I may have cycled all the way to the top with only a couple of stops! I would have pat myself in the back, but then by the time I reached the top, I would have keeled over and fallen backwards if I even attempted to! But it was exhilirating racing against yourself....it was pure mental, and so was I...


This was the first time I'd ever gotten a plaque and the Indocafe hamper for the "Queen Up Dare" title! Yippie yie yeah! But then that's coz Firefly is so anorexic and once I get started, there's no stopping me from attempting to outdo meself on the bike!

In my opinion though, these events bring out the true fellowship of mountain bikers!

You meet your friends from across the causeway, fellow bikers who know what 100% unadulterated pain feels like...

....and then you laugh at each other when you endo with a mouthful of dirt, while someone else is stuffing himself with chicken pie with the aid of grimey fingers partially covered with grimey half--fingered gloves....

...you offer your salts to someone who's become a permanent bike obstacle as a result of some pretty nasty cramps...

...and marvel at how beautiful the view is, while your adrenalin gets all pumped up as you brush past your fellow biker to the finish line...

And that's why we just can't get enough of this....

I shall leave you with this article about one incredible lady, Linda See, who's one of the toughest gals I know! She's clinched the overall ladies title each year without fail since it's inception. Take me hat off to her!

Wana see more photos of sadomasochism? Look no further....

My Album
Fatmah's Album
Winnie's Album









No comments: