Wednesday, April 14, 2010

How to Train your Salamander

Watched How to Train Your Dragon last night....one of the best animation movies I've seen in a long time! I loved it x the power of infinity!

Rotten Tomatoes gave it a tomatometer rating of 98% (100% being the best), one of the highest ratings I've ever encountered for any movie. Clash of the Titans received a low 30%, Avatar an 82% approval rating and even The Hurt Locker lost out by 1% at 97%!! Even critics of movie critics seriously hammered a NY movie reviewer for giving a negative review for the movie.

Everyone I know who watched this movie wants to own a dragon right now! Throughout the movie, I was thinking that Toothless the dragon reminded me someone....or something....

A few internet searches after, it dawned on me that he looked suspiciously like my pet salamander, from the head right down to the body form and movement (see sample below). I wonder if this little creature inspired the animator to create this Night Fury. Similarly, I bet the animators of Avatar, in creating the flora and fauna in Pandora, was probably much inspired by marine creatures (hammerhead rhinos, jellyfish-like spirits, christmas tree plants that disappear upon the touch of your hand)....

I could continue dreaming about owning a dragon, but if there were gonna be anything remotely close to those cuddly little pets in the island of Berk, it would be my furry protectors, Sas and Tobz! They may not have wings nor the ability to breathe fire, but I wouldn't trade them for anything else in the world! :)

No comments: