Monday, June 26, 2006

Creepy Crawlies

Ok Siva, what the heck is this incredible emerald-green winged creature that I bumped into while huffing and puffing my way up the Cameron Highlands Jim Thompson trail?


One moment, it was a little grasshopper-like insect. The next, it spread its wings and started crawling very slowly on the sandy floor. Intruiging!

Since i'm putting me toes into the realm of the land creepy crawlies, this is a spider that made its home in one of the petrol kiosk stops up north from Perth. Lovely little Eight Leg.


And something closer to home, this slender spider crossed me path while I was rekkeing the new proposed bike park at Ubin in the Western part of Ubin.


This brings back fond childhood memories of my conducting experiments at home as a sadistic kid...ok, so it was part of my private science experiment. I'd catch spiders and flies the size of the spiders and chuck them in the same bottle to see who wins the battle? Does size really matter? Well, I did a search on the web (no pun intended) and found out that the spider doesn't always win.

"Come into my parlour said the spider to the fly.....but little did the spider know......" (food for thought)!

Maybe my next post will be about cockroaches! I know some folks who can't even stare at a picture of a flying cockroach! Guess Fear Factor's major out of these guys! Hee hee!

3 comments:

Ladybug said...

The green/brown/black creepy crawlie look like some mint oreo cookie! heh heh

LingtheMerciless said...

Thanks Ladybug....you're a real help! :P

And Jason, yikes for the poor hummingbird! I love those birdies...they were a close second choice to the flying seahorse tattoo that I have on me back! Thought I saw a couple of 'em fluttering around at Portdown Rd, but found out that they don't live in these parts of the world? Hmmm...was probably a sunbird that I saw? And yes, a sunbird couple made a nest in my balcony once....I took a cool video of that....will show it on me blog next time round! :)

LingtheMerciless said...

Unfortunately, dun think those were hummingbird u was....

"When watching for hummingbirds, don't look further than North & South America. There are no hummers in Europe, Asia or Africa or Australia. They're unique to the Americas."

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/1997/critters/hummingbird/858897974.html

Maybe it was fairy disguising as a hummingbird?