Friday, May 09, 2008

Amball Revisited


Found this old newspaper cut out about the Touch Football folks that I used to play amball with religiously every Sunday.

Judging from the age of those interviewed in the article (the interviewer happens to be my sister-in-law), this must have been published back in what....1992?

My eldest sister, Ting (the one quoted in the paper) introduced me and the rest of the Lee sisters to the sport.

It was also how Mart and I were first introduced to each other during our PLC course coz we had friends in common playing this unladylike sport....

I remember my friend Terence getting lots of flack for being quoted for his views on the weaker sex....which he claims to have been a misquote....oh well, that's another story...and something to laugh about now!

Though this was only a friendly game, I remember someone breaking an arm and a leg (literally) while tripping all over themselves! And they call this a violent game?

Apart from the strategic planning (my favourite being the motion plays), tackling and counting one-alligator-two-alligator etc..., it formed a great SDU platform for lurrrrvvvee. Some have hooked up as a result of the weekly gatherings - myself included at one stage (with my ex-boyfriend - haha), and I've known of 2 marriages that blossomed - including my sister and now brother-in-law who live in Hawaii! :)

It was also a chance for my doggies to roam loose....and they were always looking forward to Sunday afternoons when we drove them there in my mom's ol' beat-up Mercz!

We were always searching for the best field, from Nanyang Junior College, to Lorong Liu Lian, to the Hwa Chong field, to the Sentosa field, and now the ACJC field! Whatever field we could get our hands on! But no bumps please?

Looking back, I had really fond memories of our football days. Good ol' days indeed! At one stage, the network went up to over 40 members!

The most recent reunion was when Ben, Choo and Eddie were back from the US. Same core group of players, but the bones were gettin' all creaky....mind is willing, but body is slowin' down....

How time flies, but so does the kanna seed....

2 comments:

Author said...

Did Ying and Gene meet at a touch football game? I'm pretty sure they did, if my memory serves me correctly. I remember the Lee sisters playing the game in Tokyo.

LingtheMerciless said...

Yes, they did! Hey, who's this? You seem to know the love story well! :)