Monday, February 20, 2006

In memory of a great teammate, Swee Haw

Exactly 2 years ago today, Becks, Swee Haw and I were in high spirits, preparing for our Eco X-Capade race in Sungkai, Malaysia.

Who would have thought that 2 years later, Becks and I would be cycling to pay our respects to our late teammate at the Garden of Rememberance.


Yesterday, team angels (Becks, Rina and myself) was led by our bossley, Chiku through Ulu Pandan park connector-Boon Lay Way-Jln Bahar-past NTU-and eventually, Choa Chu Kang Columbarium.

At the start of the ride, the dark clouds threatened to weep buckets, but they held back their tears, provided us instead sufficient shade cover from the baking sun. The gentle breeze and the peaceful atmosphere of the Choa Chu Kang cemetary made the ride unusually pleasant. When we arrived, we called Viki, Swee Haw's sister, to find out his niche number. It turned out to be number 70, the same year that he was born.

I firt met Swee Haw through his buddy, Mun Yew. We had apparently all met at Kiara when Mun Yew so generously supported my early video career by purchasing a Kiara Video at my make-shift CD stall by the Devi's Corner prata shop! Mun Yew emailed me, complimenting me on me video *grin*. Mun Yew? Who's this biker dude? "Max knows who I am" he replies. In any case he says, "I will be at the upcoming SACA MTB race wearing an embarrasing leopard-print jersey!" We finally met up, and somehow, I was introduced to his friend, Swee Haw, who didn't speak much....but who had a congenial way about him.

One thing led to another, and before long, we were training for an upcoming Bukit Takun Nomad Adventure Race held in July 2002. My teammates, Giddiyap and Shanker, formed team "SLY" (our initials) - even though we should have been called "Team Slack" since that was one word that pretty much described our pace during the race - for poor Giddiyap sprained his ankle 10 minutes into the race, making the journey a little difficult for us.

Swee Haw and Mun Yew's teammate had pulled out, and both had coerced Becks into forming a team with them. They did very well, finishing in a little more than 5 hours. It was from that race that we discovered Swee Haw's extraordinary powers as we heard stories of him having to carry both their bags (and his own) at certain segments of the race! OMG!!! The incredible hulk!



The next race was a real ambitious one. We took on what was promoted as a dusk-to-dawn 12-hour race, only to give up after the 17th hour! Becks, Swee Haw and Colin had formed Team Sixxis 1, and Giddiyap, Ronnie and I formed Team Sixxis 2. Above, a photo of the 6 of us, with Swee Haw donning the cap.

I'm glad I managed to get everyone to write a segment about the Eco-X-Treme Selangor 2002 and compile it into the longest race report ever. It was meant to be one of those reports you would show your buddies when you reach the ripe old age of 80, and reminisce about the good old times. Who would have thought I'd be doing it 2 years down the road, reading about a teammate who had passed on.

Swee Haw didn't utter a word in this account. He later explained that he was a maths teacher, good only for numbers. Since he didn't write well, he would gladly refrain from even trying.

Swee Haw, Becks and I later formed a team for the Hulu Langat Eco-X-Sprint held on 4 May 2003. Originally called Team SARSeeeee (wonder why?), we later agreed it was too un-PC a name, and changed it to Team T-R-Y Athletes. Our motto : TRY lor!

I remembered asking Swee Haw why on earth he would want to buddy 2 slow coaches like us. Being such a strong rider and runner, he could have easily have teamed up with other faster athletes and stood a chance at clinching top positions. He laughed it off and attributed it to his still being green in the ways of adventure racing, and may consider that bold step in future.

I still recall the last 400 metres of that race when I was almost on all fours when we hit the tarmac. Can't......keep....up.....maybe I should...crawl to....finish line? Oh, but I couldn't give up, so long as Swee Haw was there to give me a mental and physical boost! Like a coach, he ran alongside me and pushed me mentally to the finish line! The only difference - coaches do not carry your bag for you. Swee Haw gently lifted my bag off me, like he did during the Eco-X-Treme race, without my asking him! The other guys from Team Sixxis were complaining after that he really "spoil market"....

The following year, the 3 of us signed up for the Eco X-Capade at Sungkai. On that fateful day on 22 February 2004, we had just finished the bulk of our skills test and while heading to our kayaking station, we took a wrong turn, that led us down the path of hell. It was the first time I ever had a friend slowly fade away in my arms while waiting helplessly for the medics to arrive. As Becks put it, it was so "surreal and sudden", I can't even begin to describe what happened that day. There were many newpaper reports on this incident, but I thought the tragedy was most accurately captured in the Race Director's memorial page.

I'm glad we had good friends who saw us through the ordeal. Geoff and gang, who after a phonecall from Maximuzz, dropped everything in KL to meet us in Ipoh. Maximuzz, who was consoling us over the phone til we arrived in Singapore driving Swee Haw's car. The team of doctors and organising members who did all they could and broke the news gently to us when we arrived at the hospital. The race director's lawyer friend, who offered us the use of his house as refuge while waiting for the family members to arrive in Ipoh. And last but not least, Yuen Li, the race director, who made sure that Becks and I were taken care of emotionally and physically, as well as ensuring that Swee Haw's family was looked after. Yuen Li even took the time and effort to attend Swee Haw's wake in Singapore.

In memory of Swee Haw, several urls have been posted :-
SACA's Page (designed by yours truly)
Sehsuan's Page
Siva's Page

The one that touched me was the Race Director's message. The evening that never seemed to end, Yuen Li shared with us her thoughts about why we take big risks doing the things we love....questions which had been tossing around in her head like a washing machine .....

"I thought about the fruitless hours we spend exercising our bodies, trying to make it strong, and in actual fact, how frail life really is. I thought about all the things we do in celebration of our individuality. How we pursue our sport with such single-mindedness, such stubbornness, not thinking too much about the consequences, nor about the people in our lives."


I'm glad we all had a part to play in making the answers come to light....

"Then sometime that long dreadful night, a moment of understanding came to me. I was talking to Rebecca and Ling about what it meant to them to take part in a race. We were reminiscing about the Eco X-Treme when they were trudging up a mountain in the middle of the night; cold, hungry, footsore in the pouring rain. How freezing cold it was. How tired and muddy they were.

How do you describe that lilt in someone’s voice when they tell you how miserable it was, and yet you know there is a hint of – what is it? – pride in their achievement? Wry amusement at themselves? And I suppose, ultimately, a sense of happiness in the way they have chosen to live.

Swee Haw’s death was an awful tragedy. But his life was a celebration that we will not forget."

I couldn't have penned it any better, and in concurrence.

Becks and I had a little quiet moment in front of cubicle No 70. We looked at Swee Haw's photo and the miniature hand-sized red bicycle constructed out of plastic and wire placed beside it. We then looked at each other and there was no doubt in our minds that Swee Haw would be celebrating life, whereever he may be. And hopefully, he would be doing it on his dream red bike!

1 comment:

LingtheMerciless said...

Anecdote :

SH's family had just arrived at the Ipoh morgue to claim his body. The sullen lot of us were waiting outside, standing in a circle in awkward silence.

All of a sudden, one of the doctors looked down at his feet and remarked, "I wonder whose shoes these are".

All eyes then focused on that pair of familiar looking Salomons. He added "I couldn't find any shoes when the incident happened, so I slipped into the first pair I could find".

Becks remarked in horror "those belong to Swee Haw".

We all looked at each other and could no longer hold back the pent-up emotions. We burst into much needed morbid laughter, given the turn of events.