Thursday, March 23, 2006

LEN me your ears!

Friends, Musicians, Singapore Idol-fans, lend me your ears!

If I'd have to vote for a Singapore Idol, it'd go to the singer / songwriter / guitarist / pianist / bassist / occasional producer, LEONARD NG. Too bad he's way over the age limit! Hee hee!

For the record, he didn't pay me to do this.

(photo below extracted from LEN's webpage / Profile )


Back in lawschool, our class was touted to be one of the most talented....we had singer - Rosita Ng, dancer - June Tan, director - Lau Joon Nie, and a host of other talents. I was voted as the Law 4 Concert Chairwoman (hmmm...wonder why?) to work with all these talents, and I'm proud to say after unintentionally picking a big fight with the schoolmasters over copyright issues in producing the intended "Grease" musical, we miraculously produced a great show entitled "Back to School", which opened with a double-bill play (with play written by our very own Wee Teck) and ended with a big boom of rock-and-roll "Grease' song and dance that showcased the brilliance of our classmates! I'll always remember the remarks of a discipline master, "Those are Grease steps. Get rid of them....NOW"! Those were the good ol' days!

Our juniors lamented that they had big shoes to fill when it came to their Year 4 concert, but I beg to differ, and I was right! Their class was equally talented, if not more, with musicians who have left the legal profession in search of a more holistic way of life.

Leonard was a year my junior, definitely a budding young talent to look out for. When I heard him play the piano, drums, guitar, sing etc. etc., I was like "who the frickin' hell is he? Life just ain't fair!" :P

He used to be a member of local band, Peculiar Remedies me thinks (bandmates I know : Don Bosco, Pamela Oei), and recently came back from London (where he works) to perform @ the Substation with his partner in crime (and ex-classmate), Rani Singham. Rani's another runaway lawyer who's left the cushy life of a DPP to become one of Singapore's favourite jazz singers.

What is it with lawyers and the performing arts?

Anywayz, Len's released 2 LPs, and I'm the proud owner of both of them!



In fact, I've become such a fan that a lot of his songs are featured in me short videos...

My short film : Somewhere Over the Long White Cloud
Snowdrop
Stars replace the sun til dawn

Whaleshark trilogy - Goodwill Hunting
Within
and several more from his Peculiar Remedies album.

Go check out his music on his webpage.

"Might sit comfortably amongst Keane and Coldplayin the CD racks" - Future Music magazine, Nov 2004

No comments: