Thursday, January 04, 2007

Farewell Firefly

"When are you going to change your bike? You've been using the same frame since I first met you! Look at the poor state of her! Time for a change!"

I get that comment many times, even from bikers who have picked up the sport after I joined, and left it many years after.

But is there a need for a change? Firefly's stuck with me, through thick and thin all these years. She's never let me down once (hmmm....except for the face plant incident, but I accept full responsibility for not steering her in the right direction)!

And why does she need a new paintjob? Why are bikes touted as more worthy of praise and attention with a new coat of shiny paint? I like her just the way she is! If there was ever a term for those bruises and scratches, I'd say it was "character-building". Besides, it complements those appearing on its rider's knees and shoulders. Hey, we work as a team!

Sadly though, the abuse that she's endured over the past half decade has taken a toll on her badly beaten up body. It's not just the exterior I've been told. She is in need of a layer of protection, which if left to procrastination, may lead to a spreading of the corrosive disease.

I've had to make one of the toughest decisions - to let Firefly go!

I bid thee farewell, my dearest Firefly! May you have many more good years with your new owner, whoever he or she may be!









7 comments:

Mingloid said...

Is that a bike Obituary? At least all of its parts have been transplanted! hehehhee

LingtheMerciless said...

Damn right it is a bike obituary! Hee hee!

Transplant or no transplant, the whole will not be the same whole without the sum of the same parts.

Guess the new whole with new sum of parts should learn to make new friends.

Am I even making any sense?

Anonymous said...

Firefly was an organ donor....

LingtheMerciless said...

It was once a recipient of organs to....guess it's learnt to "pass it on"!

Obi-irwan has taught it well!

LingtheMerciless said...

Poetry in motion from anonymous friend of Firefly's...whose name sounds rather crude when you bid him goodbye...

Firefly, Firefly,
take me up high,
bring me to places
both muddy and dry.

We've carried each other,
o'er mountains and dell.
Five years have since passed,
I know you so well.

Every scratch and every dent,
we both bear the scars,
of great adventures past.
We've never come in last.

I'll never forget you,
you're sure to be missed.
Fly Firefly, fly.
Bye Firefly, bye.

-ben said...

OMG, you are giving up Firefly? I remember catching glimpses of her in 2003. Poor Firefly...

Who is her successor?

Every scratch and every dent

Who can ever forget the first scratch or dent on a new bike (or car)? :-P

LingtheMerciless said...

Agent Firefly will undergo a new paintjob, acquire a new identity, memory totally erased, and hopefully be released into the world of ordinary MTBikes where no one (including her) will know anything about her past.